Wednesday, July 24, 2013

First QAYG quilt finished :)

I finished my first QAYG (quilt as you go) quilt - I love this technique!  This one measures about 49" x 49" - perfect toddler size :D

Construction details, for future reference:
- 9 x 6.5" squares stitched 3x3
- each 9 patch block cut and restitched into a D9P (disappearing 9 patch) block
- D9P was layered with batting, quilted in straight lines (about 1/2" apart)
- quilted blocks were trimmed to the same size (17")
(this is pretty much the technique I followed - thanks Maureen :D)
- 9 quilted blocks assembled and backed (backing was pieced to make it big enough)
- straight stitched in the ditch of the 9 blocks to quilt the front to the backing
- corners rounded off with a plate, then 2 3/4" binding attached
DONE and GORGEOUS (iidssm) :)

10 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!!!! It's really gorgeous! I can't believe this is your first QAYG project. Go you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I love your new blog template =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt turned out so pretty. And from the sounds of it, we'll be seeing more of these in the future.

    BTW... love the new blog background and header.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have new glasses? The new looks is kind of small lettering, lol. Pretty fun on the other hand. I like the owls and flowers but those stripes are kind of distracting my concetration to read and think :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A BEAUTIFUL quilt, Sandra!!! The light blue with the random orange / yellow... perfect colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Love it. So the backing goes on separate? I've seen so many qayg methods, I'm more confused than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! I've never tried the QAYG technique, but I know it would be easier than having to wrangle a big quilt through a sewing machine :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely finish Sandra... beautiful colours
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is a really lovely quilt, gorgeous fabrics and I love the design. Loving the new blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the design and cool colours. Thanks for the link. How did you find the seam thickness?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I try to reply to all comments - if you're a No Reply blogger or using Google + I can't get your email address so please leave it (obfuscated somehow) in the message so I can write back (and snoop your blog, lol) - thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails